[geeks] Re: [rescue] RE: Small schools.& elections

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 20 19:29:14 CDT 2001

wstan at localhostnl.demon.nl writes:

>Dave,

>I made a visit to your home page and you have a
>section dedicated to vector terminals. I have
>not had a chance to read through it all but had
>some specific questions.

>Can an ordinary video monitor (like a Sony used
>in video production) be used as a vector monitor?
>If not, what are some common makes/models of dedicated
>vector monitors?

The terminals I have contain a very integrated tube. If you could
seperate out the "vector monitor", you would basicly have an
oscilliscope without the sweep. (AKA: Storage Display Unit. I
actually do have one of those.)

Radically different from a typical monitor. Plus, the "storage
tube" part means a radically different type of tube as the actual
screen in that "monitor".

If you have some way of generating three analog DC signals,
any oscilliscope should work. (X, Y, intensity.) But you have
to refresh it - continuously cycle through your display list
and redraw all the elements.

>How are you using your vector terminal?

They're just a historic collection. Sometimes I take one
and set it up running fractal displays in public somewhere. Even
then, that's mostly a historic display.

-- david fischer -- dave at cca.org -- www.cca.org -- Cthulhu told me to. --