[geeks] Memo to self: try not to destroy UPSs

James Fogg geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 18 12:38:38 CDT 2001

This is courting the devil.

If you want a discussion of switching transients, RMS voltage and MOVs we can
have a go at it. If you want the voice of experience, ask one of my former
techs about the flaming UPS.

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, THOU SPAKE:
> > > Power diagram (until failure ;-)
> > >
> > > Utility ---> Smart-UPS 600 (Sine) ---> Belkin 525VA -------> Machine
> > >                                    |                 \-----> Machine
> > >                                    |-> Belkin 525VA -------> Machine
> > >                                    |-> Belkin 525VA -------> Machine
> > >                                    \-> APC Backups 300 ----> Ethernet
> > >                                                        |     Bridge
> > >                                                        \---> 100Mb/s
> > >                                                              Switch
>
> I was always told that you shouldn't plug UPS's into a UPS.
> i.e., they should all be directly plugged into the utility power.
>
> -john

	 James D. Fogg, Network Engineer
	Vicinity Corporation - Lebanon, NH

     DESK (603) 442-1751 - CELL (603) 252-1864
     PAGER (802) 742-0280 - HOME (603) 526-7729
            EMAIL jfogg at vicinity.com

If you can read this e-mail, Thank a Network Engineer!