[geeks] Re: [rescue] linux ports

Joshua D. Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 15 13:43:11 CDT 2001

Cygnus is supposedly doing a lot of non-intel work.  Intel sponsered a lot
of IA-64 work (OK, still intel, but really, GCC isn't as good as it should
be on anything newer than a pentium classic).  I think most of Cygnus'
work is aimed toward low end devices (like the r5k instead of the r10+k)
rather than high end devices.  What we need is for Sun and IBM to sponser
more optimization work for their platforms.  Wouldn't surprise me if that
was part of the $1billion that IBM plans to spend on free software.

--
Joshua Boyd