[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Mike Hebel geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 14 10:32:05 CDT 2001

JD> At 09:11 AM 6/14/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>>Sometimes I hate computers.  Period.  I can learn to enjoy something,
>>even if its sadistic, for $150K/ year.  Burnout?  Been there, done that.
>>Its all about the particular job.

JD> Agreed... I've been doing this for 8 years now and sometimes
JD> I really would like to change careers, but I'm not sure what
JD> I would do instead. And then there's the small matter of the
JD> really honkin' mortgage payment that I've got now.

JD> $150K/yr could go a long way towards relieving burnout.
JD> Really nice vacations could be afforded with that kind of
JD> salary, which would help to relieve the burnout factor.

Yeah but it's hard to find those $100k+ positions without
certification - even with 10+ years of experience.  (Hell, at the
moment I'm having problems finding a $50k position that I don't have
to drive 2hrs+ to do.)

I think that right spin should be years of experience in $FOO.
Certification _almost always_ helps that.

As for the hating the job thing - I've been there and I've seriously
considered going into other lines of work.  You need a good financial
base or _no_ serious bills to do it though.  If you have debt of $20k
or more then you should probably stick with what you know.

Just my $.02 worth.

Mike Hebel                          mailto:drone8of9 at crosswinds.net