[geeks] Guitar callouses

Mike Hebel geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Jun 9 02:06:44 CDT 2001

JDB> However, a decent amp could cost some money.
JDB> You should be able to get going for under $500
JDB> with a decent rig though, if you are patient.

Funny you should mention amps - my last job I worked was with Norb
Funk the creator of Fatboy Amps.  It was _very_ cool listening to his
stories about meeting Santana and Jeff Beck.  (Last I heard he was
also thinking about doing a limited number of amps to sell on E-Bay as well.)
Actually, $500 is about what Norb told me I should get for a basic
amp to get me started.

JDB> Note, be very careful about buying used from individuals rather than
JDB> stores.  Unless you are an expert, there could be hidden problems that
JDB> neither you nor the seller know about.

That's what Norb said as well.  He told me that unless he was planning
on re-building or refurbishing the amp he would almost always buy an
amp new just because people "tweak" the internals so much.

Mike Hebel
(Who should be learning on his '54 Gibson while he's got the time between jobs.)