[geeks] Re: [rescue] Re: [SunRescue] Catalyst 2100 switch

Gregory Leblanc geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 8 00:33:42 CDT 2001

On 06 Jun 2001 10:17:47 +0100, Dave Reader wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Dan Debertin wrote:
> > On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > > Cisco TAC *KICKS ASS*.  I just called them up, even though I didnt
> > > have a support contract.  Talked to someone in Sydney, Australia to
> >
> > There's nothing quite like the way the .au Cisco folk say "router". My
> > best text approximation would be "reawdah". Not to mention "sweetch".
>
> It's amazing just how many different ways it's possible to speak the same
> language - of course we have a wide range of variations here in the UK
> anyway .. with some particularly strong accents (eg, in the north
> east) .. however we're all used to that and tend not to notice (although
> there are people I know who I do have real difficulty understanding
> sometimes).
>
> If I'm honest I have to admit that I tend to cringe at the US
> pronounciation, though. Here in the UK we pronounce it as "roo-ter"
> because we pronounce 'route' as 'root'.
>
> To us, the American pronounciation of 'router' (as I've heard spoken,
> anyway) is more commonly associated with woodworking.

It's not necessarily American...  I pronounce it "router" like
woodworking now, so that I don't get laughed out of the network
meetings, but all of the New England area of pronounces "route", as in a
road, as root.  I expect that if I ever make it back that way, I'll pick
up the accent in no time...
	Greg