[geeks] Synchronus Serial

James Sharp geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 31 22:01:38 CDT 2001

> On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 09:32:24PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> > 3-400 mines is a *huge* distance in radio terms...
>
> hmmmm.  what is a "reasonable" distance to be able to expect nice performance? LOS?

Depends on terrain and outside interference.  In a nice flat terrain with
a moderate sized tower (50 feet or so) you can get about 30 or 40 miles at
11mbps on 900Mhz.  In hilly terrain or lots of buildings, you're pretty
much screwed.

> > VHF/UHF require line-of-sight - hard at that distance to be sure.
> they do?  i didn't think so.  i could very well be wrong though. :)

Yes.  UHF moreso than VHF.

> > HF would limit speed of data (bandwidth concerns) I suspect...
>
> what is the theoretical upper limit?

There's no "theoretical upper limit"...its when you start pissing off the
FCC by having a 36Mhz wide 45mpbs carrier that splatters all over HF that
you have to get worried.

Thats why all the high bandwidth stuff is at 900mhz and up...usually up
around 2.4Ghz or 10Ghz.