[geeks] WTB: digital camera

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 30 18:11:35 CDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 04:49:30PM -0500, Andrew Sydelko wrote:

> Yeah, but you can't just hook the camera up and have it
> show up as another disk... You have to use Canon's software
> (or the equivalent reverse-engineered unix version) to
> get at the pictures thru USB.

are you sure about that?  before i got the PCMCIA card and CD->PCMCIA adapter
for my sparc20 i was using the USB on my HP315 (not a bad camera, my wife picked
it out.  it's no CoolPix, but then it's a LOT cheaper) and i was using the HP
supplied "picture download" software.  till i realized that it really did show
up as a disk drive, they just made sure to obscure that fact.  deleted the HP
software and just started using the straight drive instead.  give it a go, you
might find the same thing.

course now i pop the CF card into the sparc20 and do it that way, but.... :)

-brian