[geeks] an interesting evening.

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 30 01:10:37 CDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 01:04:18AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 01:59:34AM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> > ok, i've tried and i've tried, but i can't keep my mouth shut anymore.
> > FDDI NEVER GOES DOWN.
>
> *anything* will go down when you unplug your backbone connection,
> as I keep saying.  In this case, "network is down" means "cant
> see the internet", since the local "network" exists for the sole
> reason of sharing the cablemodem between all our machines
> (2 PCs, 2 Macs, numerous SPARCs..)

You wouldn't have a network, except for connecting to the
internet?  That's odd.  Around here, we use out network for so much
more.  The whole point of setting up the network in the first place was
for file serving and running headless boxes.  It wasn't until after we
moved to this new place that the network was also extended for internet
sharing.

--
Joshua D. Boyd