[geeks] Introductions (was Re: Etiquette)

Dan Debertin geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 29 02:19:30 CDT 2001

Okay, we appear to be doing intros. So be it.

Dan Debertin, 26. I'm from Tacoma, WA, originally, and am endlessly pining
to get back to that area. Presently, I live in Minneapolis with my wife of
11 months (1 more month of newlywed-hood. sigh.). I have a Bachelor of
Music degree. I can't have pets in my current living arrangement, but if I
were to have a dog, it would be a corgi. Great dogs.

I'm the Senior Janitor^H^H^H^H^H^H^HSystems Administrator for Bitstream
Underground (www.bitstream.net), a Twin Cities-area ISP and web
development shop. We have about 10 racks of gear, all running some form of
UNIX, mostly Solaris and *BSD. It's an okay place -- I don't have to take
care of a single Windows box, and if you put me in front of one, I'm
pretty much lost ;). Most of the people are clueful, although I work under
an at times annoyingly tight budget. I've been there for almost 2 years
now.

I've been using UNIX since 1993, when I got my first UNIX account at
college. This was IIRC a BSD/OS machine. I feel lucky to have experienced
USENET when it didn't suck horribly, having an email account and not
receiving spam, and large user-base, multipurpose UNIX systems. But I
still wish I had been born earlier, like most of you. Oh well. Would have
been fun to have been a sysadmin in the 80s.

I'm pretty much brand-agnostic -- I enjoy and can administer capably on
Solaris, SunOS, any BSD, IRIX, SCO, Linux, etc. Like any sane sysadmin, I
have a healthy hatred of SCO, but it's still just UNIX, so it's not a
total waste of time.

NetBSD fills me with warm fuzzies. Linux gives me an icky feeling. I could
quantify these feelings with technical differences, but really, that's all
anybody in such an argument is trying to say, in not so many words.

In my spare time, I try to become a better programmer, listen to music (my
favorite composers are Bach and Schoenberg), and travel whenever I can get
a break. I have a respectable but not excessive pile of machines. My pride
and joy is senator, a 670MP that Bitstream no longer wanted. I have a few
other Sun boxes, an SGI machine, some macs, and a stack of POJ 486's.

I have never paid money for software, and I have never paid more than $20
for a computer, and I have everything I need. This would not be possible
without the free software community, to which I am enormously grateful. I
hope to contribute back someday.

Anyway, that's it.

Dan D.
--
The more advertising I see, the less I want to buy.

Dan Debertin
airboss at nodewarrior.org
www.nodewarrior.org