[geeks] Etiquette

Jonathan Katz geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Jul 28 15:45:33 CDT 2001

Jody wrote:
> Oh wait I was argreeing with you apparently the "not" is a
> most elusive species of word...

So you're saying I made a wild-ass assertion and that based on
your anecdotal evidence it seems to fit? If the shoe fits...

> If your gonna build a building on sand, why not make the whole
> thing out of sand... It's gonna fall down anyways.

*nod*

> And neither can I, I'd like to be like them, it's just that
> apparently you have to be an english major to get people to be
> immoral with you :)

LOL

> I just think that it makes more sense to take the some $80,000
> you'd spend on 4 yrs of college and spend it on 4 years of
> drinking and general debauchery. Then you could get down to
> learning a valid trade of vocation without the distraction.

There are a lot of college-dropouts turned semi-successful-
IT-wonks on this list. Show of hands? How many of us would
do it differently?

> Sometimes I look at college like a kindergarten. I mean kids
> don't learn anything in kindergarten (the way they do in 2nd
> grade), it's just a mechanism to get children okay with being
> around other kids. So college is just a mechanism for
> teenagers to figure out how to deal with other teenagers and
> adults.

Hmmm... interesting thought.

-Jon