[geeks] So what is a "Frankenmac"?

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 26 13:56:23 CDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 04:57:43PM +0000, Kris Kirby wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:
> > A what? Automated Delivery System? For what?
> >
> > Are you thinking Real Jukebox?
>
> Ever seen a "Scott Studios" box? One of those, based on a free OS.
>
> The basic rundown of a Scott Studios box is that it's a DOS machine with a
> NIC and three audio cards. It runs 24/7 in a radio station type
> enviroments with commercials and audio preloaded onto it's hard drives.
> They use a hacked (read: half-assed) MP3-style audio format. They also
> have a fancy GUI.

Are you actually planning on using it in a studio type environment with
NAS?!?

Some people have done similar things with Win9x, but they used only one
soundcard as far as I know.  Winamp can use multiple soundcards (one copy
of winamp per card of course).  Some people have also done similar things
with BeOS, but complained that some components were missing for actually
station use.  And again, I think they were using only one soundcard.

It seems that if the audio is local, then with almost any OS you should be
able to do what you want, but what you want isn't entirely clear, which
makes it hard to speak definately.

--
Joshua D. Boyd