[geeks] learning spanish

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 26 11:00:45 CDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 10:19:44AM -0400, James Fogg wrote:
> There is a perfect example of why I high-tailed it out of PA. Coal Country
> isn't any better off than Amish Country (worse, in fact). We had what are known
> as Coal Crackers (look it up on google, its a real word). Schuylkill and
> Lancaster Co's, for some reason, have a well established KKK influence too.

I've heard of all of 2 KKK parades in the past couple of years, and that's
all I've heard of the KKK locally.  If I go just across the mason dixon
line, there are KKK stickers plastered everywhere.  I don't know many
people like the guy in the truck (see archives, since it cut snipped), but
I haven't really met anyone who support the KKK.  I have met numerous
people who were prejudiced against hispanics particularly though.  I got
to say, sometimes it's hard not to be.  You look at some black or hispanic
guy dressed like a gangster (say, baggy pants, heavy super thick parka in
winter, musle shirt in summer, colored head bang, a certain slouch and
swagger, shoes more expensive than any piece of my warddrobe, except my
suit, etc), and it is a bit hard not to be, err, concerned.  They are
pretty alien to me.  I know numerous black and hispanic people (some of my
best friends), but none of them are young men dressed like gangsters.

--
Joshua D. Boyd