[geeks] Background process

Will Mc Donald geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 26 02:18:08 CDT 2001

If I've got the right end of the stick I think nohup is what you're after.
If disconnects a program from the controlling terminal making it ignore all
SIGHUP signals.

man nohup

Basically you just run something like...

$ nohup my_c_prog &

A nohup.out file is created in your current working directory or is that
isn't possible you home directory.

I was actually thinking about this last night, is there any way to take
control of a nohup-ed process again if you've logout of the initiating
shell?

Will.