[geeks] So what is a "Frankenmac"?

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 25 00:27:54 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 10:06:50PM -0700, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> Fer example, I had a system that was a PowerTower Pro Case, a 9600 (I
> thin) Motherboard, first a 200MHz 604e, later a 350MHz G3, 2 3.5" 1.6" 4G
> SCSI drives from a Clariion RAID array, a Twin-turbo 128 video card, and
> more fans than you can imagine.
> -Pete

I've *really* got to find a B&W or a G4 soon; tonight was the "last
straw" when it comes to windows.

2-3 days ago, my WinXP RC1 install fried itself.  No biggie, its beta
software.  So, I go to reinstall Win2K.  Errors during install, problems,
etc.  3 complete reformats/reinstalls later, its working fine.

Today, Amy goes to upgrade the LiveWare! drivers for the SBLive! card.
This completely fries the install, *again*.

I just got through spending FOUR HOURS doing three complete reformat/
reinstalls (including using RedHat to boot up and /dev/zero the entire
30G HD).  I finally had to take all the covers off the computer case and
turn off all the BIOS optimizations, just to get win2k to install and
SP2 to go on without a problem.

This is a machine, that until this past Sunday, *NEVER* had a problem -
and I've had it since Feb/March, I think...

Fuck Windows.  Fuck Bill Gates.

(and thank goodness I also have the PowerMac and the SunBlade 100
setup as desktop machines..)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford