[geeks] Trade U30 for G3 mac B&W?

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 23 17:02:41 CDT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter L. Wargo [mailto:pwargo at basenji.com]
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 5:00 PM
To: 'geeks at sunhelp.org'
Subject: RE: [geeks] Trade U30 for G3 mac B&W?

> Hey, one reason you don't see as many tech questions
> is that the platform is well-designed enough that my
> 72-year-old mother can add RAM, CPU upgrades, etc.
> Hell, my sister has never opened a computer in her
> life, and she added RAM to her iMac..

Observations:

	1) Did your mother utter the phrase "Well, if Pete
	can do do, I certainly can" before she upgraded her
	Mac?

	2) Even after your sister opened her iMac and added
	RAM, she still "(had) never opened a computer..." ;^)

> Funny, with most dual-platform peripherals I buy, I see
> 4 pages of instructions for a PC, and one paragrapch for
> Mac, which usually reads something like "Plug it in."

Did you also notice that Mac accessories are typically only
in one corner of the computer store, the rest is PC-only?

Also, did you notice the Mac section only used short, not
threatening words - not alot of "big technical terms"...

> Now, to continue my pointless rant, I was appalled when
> I saw what it takes to uninstall AOL instant messager
> on a PC.  What the hell is this
> HKEY_EMBED_CRAP_EIGHTEEN_LEVELS_DOWN stuff?

Pete - AOL was designed *specifically* to be hard to remove -
not a fair comparison...

> I just dragged it to the trash. :-)

The whole Mac, or just the folder ;^)

> Wargo's purely subjective final comment: "Yes, perhaps
> the average Mac user is less technical than a PC user.

Sure - I'll agree to that...

> That's because they actually get to work on their computers,
> instead of always having to work *on* their computers."
> Hee, hee...

Well, I never argued that point...

It always amazed me that a) Apple would include window stickers in their computer boxes, and b) that people woud put them on their car windows! I mean come on, it's a nice logo and all, but come on...

> -Pete

Ken