[geeks] FreeBSD install problem on ALR server

Kris Kirby geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 22 17:08:17 CDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> > Bummer. Try taking out three of the CPUs until you get it installed and a
> > kernel built.
> >
> I will try that

FreeBSD's usually pretty good about supporting SMP machines. I have one
machine that, for reasons unknown to me, refuses to boot FreeBSD's kernel
from the hard disk. It's an old DEC Celerbris (or so) with two P133's in
it. It will boot from the floppy, so on the first disk (installation
floppy), I changed the boot.config to look at wd0 for the next level boot
loader. Viola! It boots the floppy first, reads about two sectors, and
proceeds to boot from the hard disk.

I suspect I could update the flash or so, but the machine works as it is.
:)

-----
<kris at nospam.catonic.net>   |