[geeks] Network Solutions rant

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Jul 21 07:15:02 CDT 2001

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 06:17:06AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 07:14:30AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > I love dotster - I'm moving all of my domains to Dotster as they come close
> > to expiring (so far half are housed there).  No problems - all admin can be
> > done from the web interface.  Changes take effect the same day, rather than
> > the long time (close to a week recently) it takes for NSI to make the
> > updates.
>
> Exactly.  Web admin solves the problem of "I just had to move my system
> to another ISP without warning, and now I *cant* send mail from
> contact at mydomain".

Yep, register.com's web admin stuff works similarly well.  I only have
one minor gripe with them.  The first domain I started serving from my
DNS server was encypher.net.  So the owner told register.com the server
details, giving the IP address and giving the server name as
a.ns.encypher.net.  Now, whenever I set it up with another domain, I
have to tell it the server is a.ns.encypher.net and *not* what it should
be, plough.barnyard.co.uk.

I have no idea whether this is just more of the usual "DNS broken, film
at 11" or a register.com bug, and it's not important enough for me to
worry too much about it.  Getting it sorted out is item #3676895 on
the to-do list :-)

Mind you, if you lot think NSI are swine, you try doing anything
involving RIPE.  Uggh.  Talk about making you jump through hoops!

Do not be afraid of cooking, as your ingredients will know and misbehave
   -- Fergus Henderson