[geeks] "PC guyz", me?

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 20 12:16:22 CDT 2001

Oddly, the first "modern" computer I owned (aside from Atari 800s and OSI Superboards!) was a Mac Plus. Bought it around 1985 (?) for about $1500, sold it for $1000 (w/imagewriter II printer) to my friends dad a few years later... Didn't do much more than Play Arkanoids on it ;^)

I then got AT&T Unix PCs, then eventually I got a 286 laptop around 1992 (ran coherent on it, wrote shell scripts to manage the guest list for my then upcoming wedding!)

After that I got a 486 PC and thought it was the slowest machine I ever saw, till one day I figured out the builder had left the clock speed of my 486/33 at 4.77 MHz! Well, that was much better! ;^)

Tried early Linux distro's on it, never really got X working though... Then I got a job working with Sun equipment, and, well, about a dozen each surplus IPC/IPXen, ss/10s and a few SS/20s and ss/2s I find myself with an Ultra 30 (with it's *very nice* Vertical Creator card and SunPCi 400 MHz card) soon to become my "upstairs" machine,and an Ultra 2/2300, SS/5-170, and an SS/20 2xSM-71 filling up the basement.Oh, and the promise of a *very* nice SPARCbook 3TX next week.

But, I managed to pick up a few PCs as well, but they don't get used muc, except for my new favorite x86 laptop, the Portege 3025ct (less than 1" thin, 10.4" 800x600 TFT, P/300, 96 Meg with 802.11b networking) as my main "browse the web" machine.

The one thing I do need to do, is figure out a real email strategy...

Ken