[geeks] OS X (was: the briq)

Hatle, Steven J. geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 19 07:29:16 CDT 2001

> Well, I do remember the SunOS 4.x -> Solaris 2.0 transition... That almost
> killed Sun.

Doh! I guess the Motorola/Sparc and SunOS/Solaris changes would count as a
"major player that has totally flipped their hardware and software base and
lived to tell the tale". Serves me right for climbing up on the soapbox, I
guess <grin>.

Whether it's the right thing or the wrong thing, I give Apple credit for
having the guts to basically toss their OS of 15+ years when they finally
realized it was inadequate for todays computing world. I'd call it a much
more drastic change than M$ with the change from Win9x to NT, though that
was a fairly large step, as well.

Don't want to start a religious war; I drive 'em all- NT/2000, Solaris, OSX,
Linux, etc. Each has it's goods and bads. I just think Apple did
particularly good this time around.  .  .

Steve