[geeks] Re: [geeks] Re: [geeks] Re: [geeks] Re: [geeks] Re: [geeks] T H E??b r i Q

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 19 04:40:53 CDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 09:44:35PM -0400, James Sharp wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 10:45:58PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> > > You mean they would if the operating system usually used on them wasn't
> > > written by deformed crack monkeys.
> > > Love AAPL, hate Mac OS.
> >
> > have you looked at OS X lately?  ITS UNIX.
>
> NeXTStep/PPC

But broken by the addition of a New! Shiny! GUI which makes the whole
machine run like a stunned slug in molasses.

Yes, I know I can run it in text-only mode, but AFAIK I can't completely
replace Aqua/Quartz with X.  And even if I could I wouldn't want to cos
I would then lose what few commercial apps I *can* run.  My Mac is not
something I treat as a computer.  It's an appliance.  It's great that
my appliance runs a Unix-a-like cos there will be more apps available,
but it sucks that it has to be such a half-arsed botch-job.

Do not be afraid of cooking, as your ingredients will know and misbehave
   -- Fergus Henderson