[geeks] OS X (was: the briq)

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 18 23:25:34 CDT 2001

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Hatle, Steven J. wrote:

>  I agree with Pete on this one- I bought one of the new iBooks about a month
> ago, and have been running in OS X 99 percent of the time.

Gee, thanks!  (No, this is not a conspiracy..)

> I'm writing this on my couch, using my Airport network to connect to the
> wired network downstairs. I have an NFS mount from my NetApp, playing MP3's
> in iTunes. I can use Sharity (or Samba, or soon native SMB in 10.1) to see
> shares from my W2K box if I need to.

Ya, I am sitting on the couch, OS X, iBook, and having a blast.  My iBook
is only a 366, but with 320M of RAM it cranks OK. (Gee, where did I reach
the point where a 366MHz PPC was "just enough"?

> after Classic starts, they are as zippy as native OS9. Not Word/Excel
> "compatible"- the real things, and dealing with MS documents is a reality in
> most all workplaces I've seen.

I can live with Appleworks at home.  My job uses mostly StarOffice, so I
am missing that right now. (Rumor has a Darwin version in the works.)
Appleworks for OS X is all I need for writing at home.  I do need native
photoshop, then I will be happy.

> Apple totally changed hardware architecture in the 90's. They did a bit to
> coddle along the old architecture, but basically told their user base "it's
> for your own good", and it worked. They're doing the same again with their
> OS. It may be too early to tell with OSX, but I can't think of another major
> player that has totally flipped their hardware and software base and lived
> to tell the tale.

Well, I do remember the SunOS 4.x -> Solaris 2.0 transition... That almost
killed Sun.

> Lest you think I'm an Apple apologist, I gave up on them around System 8
> because I hated MacOS (well, I did drive Newtons until recently) but I'm
> back now- and I'm fired up!

I got pissed over System 7, as I had a 512Ke when it came out... Then I
felt real cheated over the Newton.  But, I am close to forgiving them.
(Hey, Steve J - just send me my TiBook, and we'll call it even...)

-pete