[geeks] RE: [geeks] Re: [geeks] Re: [geeks] Re: [geeks] T H E??b r i Q

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 18 20:54:05 CDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 08:42:25PM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 08:29:13PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> >
> > When I still was using a P200 with 192megs of ram, the Gimp barely used
> > more than 15% of CPU.  It did do a tremendous amount of swapping.  But
> > then, loading those same images onto an Onyx with 128megs of ram caused
> > the machine to crash (I know, I know, people keep telling me, something
> > was set wrong, but I don't have root, so there is squat I can do about
> > it).  On my P2-350, the gimp isn't much faster, but not it only uses about
> > 5% CPU for the most part.  And it still does a lot of swapping.  I need
> > more ram one of these days.
>
> 384MB ram.  i can load 50 1600x1200x24 photos into GIMP and my memory drops
> down to 6M free and about 160MB in swap (i'm guessing other stuff that isn't
> being used that gets pushed there) and gimp can resize a photo in the same
> time it takes if i had only one photo loaded, and there is no swapping.

The last time I was in the gimp, I had 1 file open.  10.5x8
inches.  300dpi.  32bit color.  5 layers.  Plus additional clip masks,
which are 8bit chanels.  Err, that is a 151+ megs.  I have 192.  If it is
swapping desperately, then I suspect that it is using more memory
somewhere.  Either that or I have tile caching improperly tuned.  However,
the fact that it keeps a fairly large undo buffer makes me think that a
lot of memory is used for things other than just loading the file.

My process was scan the different pieces on a windows machine, then
transfer the whole load to my linux box, composite, do corrections, then
flatten to a new file, transfer back to windows machine for
printing.  Sure, I probably coulda scanned and printed on linux, but this
was a borrowed scanner and printer, and it was faster just to connect them
to my sister's machine and let plug and pray do it's thing.

Thing is, I don't get paid for doing this type of thing, and when doing it
is the main time I need more RAM currently, so I find it hard to justify
to myself buying more RAM at this time, even with as cheap as it is.

--
Joshua D. Boyd