[geeks] Re: [geeks] Re: [geeks] Re: [geeks] Re: [geeks] Re: [geeks] T H E??b r i Q

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 18 20:47:28 CDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 09:38:31PM -0400, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> BSD on Microkernel:				Good

Yep.

> No DVD or 802.11 support until today:		Bad

Resolved as of today.

> No X Server:					Bad

Rootless x servers are freely available.

> Needs another OS loaded for more app support:	Bad

Think of it as an "emulation layer" for the OS 9 stuff..
Just a slightly different implementation of what Apple
did with MacOS <10 when they introduced the powerpc.

At least we have NeXTStep on REAL hardware now. 8-)

(yeah, thats basically what it is.. and the G4 Cube
 was just Jobs saying "fuck you" to the people who
 dissed NeXT..)

> Just my scorecard. I want to get a Pismo Powerbook or
> better and run OS/X.1 on it ++ Xserver for work.

I've got a PM7600 here, upgraded to G3/400, 305meg
RAM, 30gig HD, with a decent ATI video card on the way.
I'll be trying out OS X once the new video card gets
here.

http://www.mrbill.net/pics/powermac.jpg

Bill

--