[geeks] RE: [geeks] Re: [geeks] Re: [geeks] Re: [geeks] T H E??b r i Q

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 18 19:29:13 CDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 07:37:09PM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> i have a single 150Mhz HyperSPARC in the sparc20 on my desk that is my only
> workstation.  would i like a faster computer?  sure, why not, who wouldn't.
> but on the other hand, i've found that with a little patience i can even do
> GIMP work on this thing. :)

When I still was using a P200 with 192megs of ram, the Gimp barely used
more than 15% of CPU.  It did do a tremendous amount of swapping.  But
then, loading those same images onto an Onyx with 128megs of ram caused
the machine to crash (I know, I know, people keep telling me, something
was set wrong, but I don't have root, so there is squat I can do about
it).  On my P2-350, the gimp isn't much faster, but not it only uses about
5% CPU for the most part.  And it still does a lot of swapping.  I need
more ram one of these days.

--
Joshua D. Boyd