[geeks] something funny emerges from all the BS on comp.os.vm s

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 17 14:55:40 CDT 2001

When my father worked for a large engineering comany in the late 60's, they tried to teach him FORTRAN, and he simply walked out of class on the second day and never returned (as a Cost Engineer it would do him no good, and weren't there peoiple to do that kind of thing?). I suspect he was never able to really see how learning the intricacies of the FORMAT statement was going to make *his* job easier...

Flash forward 25 years, and his son (me!) was sitting in a classroom trying to learn C++ (having already learned BASIC, Pascal, FORTRAN, COBOL, 370 Assembler and C), and after a few sessions, I got up, walked out and never returned. I knew if that what programming was going to become, I didn't want any part of it!

My "problem" was that I had never learned how to apporach a programming problem in such a way that it was clear how object-oriented programming would make a significant difference in the effort involved. I look at a problem and think FOR...NEXT, WHILE, and IF...THEN, not overloaded operators, classes and whatever else was involved.

At the 10,000 foot level, I guess it could be beneficial, but the bulk of my programming (trivial "hacks" these days, basic business "stuff" back then) is/was satisfied by the tools I already had.

Ken