[geeks] *sigh*

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 17 07:00:30 CDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 07:59:33PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Okay.  Amy wants to go on a trip to France.  I have some
> concerns.  Feedback appreciated.
>
> 1.  She wants to go for a month.
> 2.  She wants to rent an apartment
> 3.  She wants to get a cellphone while she's there.

Get one of the pre-pay phones.  No hassle at all, no credit checks or
deposits required.  Not sure if these will permit roaming in other
countries though if you want to visit Germany/Belgium/Holland/Italy/
wherever.

> 4.  She wants to go alone.
>
> And my concerns:
>
> 1.  Too long.  I'd pine away and die.  Not to mention the cost.
> 2.  *sigh*  A month is too long.
> 3.  Probably not a problem.
> 4.  I worry that two years of high school french aint gonna cut it.

Hmmm.  The French do have a reputation - at least partially justified IMO -
for not being particularly pleasant to Anglos who don't speak French.  But
IME this evaporates when you: make an effort to speak their language (which
is only polite anyway); or want to buy something :-)

> Plus, this is the woman who sometimes makes me kill bugs.  I dont
> know about letting her go to a foreign country by herself.  She
> might get mugged/robbed/raped/accosted by a handsome frenchman.

I ain't going to comment on most of the above stuff, but *that* is not
something worth worrying about.  Simply apply the same common-sense as
you would at home.

BTW, there's some *really* good offers at the moment on tickets on the
Eurostar, which make day or weekend trips from Paris to London affordable.

Do not be afraid of cooking, as your ingredients will know and misbehave
   -- Fergus Henderson