[geeks] *sigh*

Wolfgang Engelien geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 16 23:24:36 CDT 2001

>Okay.  Amy wants to go on a trip to France.  I have some
>concerns.  Feedback appreciated.

>1.  She wants to go for a month.
Good idea.

>2.  She wants to rent an apartment
Not necessary, but may be cheaper, if you don't go
for the offers in American news papers.

>3.  She wants to get a cellphone while she's there.
Not necessary either, but maybe she does it for you,
so you can get in contact with her any time.

>4.  She wants to go alone.
I have met many American girls traveling all over
Europe alone. I never heard complains.

>And my concerns:
>
>1.  Too long.  I'd pine away and die.
Well ...

>...  Not to mention the cost.
Nope, the exchange rate is extremely good at the
moment. Very good timing! It CAN BE a bargain vacation
for less than $2k altogether if it's not Paris.

>2.  *sigh*  A month is too long.
Yes - if you stay home.
Nope - if you are the one in France ...

>3.  Probably not a problem.
Very likely not.

>4.  I worry that two years of high school french aint gonna cut it.
You need no french at all, but it helps on the menu.

>Plus, this is the woman who sometimes makes me kill bugs.  I dont
>know about letting her go to a foreign country by herself.  She
>might get mugged/robbed/raped/accosted by a handsome frenchman.
She finally will learn how to kill the bugs herself.
Otherwise - off course everything can happen everywhere, but the
chances to get shot are much lower, since almost nobody carries
a gun. She might want to spare the Arab quarters in twilight though.

HTH,
Wolfgang
#####
# Wolfgang Engelien