[geeks] *sigh*

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 16 20:38:59 CDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 07:59:33PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Okay.  Amy wants to go on a trip to France.  I have some
> concerns.  Feedback appreciated.

concerns are good.

> 1.  She wants to go for a month.

honestly? this is the only way.  going for a week just don't cut it.  if you
are going to visit a place, you should do it right.  of course i'm also the guy
who went to brasil for 3 months and came back 2 years later. :)

> 3.  She wants to get a cellphone while she's there.

probably a very good idea.  it's nice to have the security of a cell phone when
you are in a known place, but when you are in a foreign place?  a cell phone is
crucial.

> 4.  She wants to go alone.

well someone has got to stay home and make the money dammit.  :)  you do know
that this means you can unplug the dryer in favor of plugging in the 6000. :)

> And my concerns:

see first comment above. :)

> 1.  Too long.  I'd pine away and die.  Not to mention the cost.
> 2.  *sigh*  A month is too long.

a month is a HUGELY long time.  especially since she's gonna be the one having
the fun, and you are gonna be at home workin' yer butt off.  or, well, at least
doing whatever it is you normally do (glued to the computer like the rest of
us? *G*)

so why alone if i may ask?

> 3.  Probably not a problem.

not only not a problem, a good idea.

> 4.  I worry that two years of high school french aint gonna cut it.

i lived in brasil for two years.  i STILL don't speak portugese.  she'll do
just fine.  i don't know how it is in france, but... "Oh, you're an american?
even though i can't speak english i'm still gonna try to speak english to you."
was pretty much the standard in brasil.  it heavily affected my ability to learn
the language. :)

> Plus, this is the woman who sometimes makes me kill bugs.  I dont
> know about letting her go to a foreign country by herself.  She
> might get mugged/robbed/raped/accosted by a handsome frenchman.

she might get mugged/robbed/raped/accosted by a handsome Texan.  she'll be as
safe over there as she would here.  unless you have to keep her on a leash or
something. :)

> or something.

you've never been apart for this long before have you?  i can understand how you
feel.  although my wife and i are at the part now where i WISH she should go to
france for a month. :(

-brian