[geeks] portability problem

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 16 18:10:28 CDT 2001

Honestly, I got my Portege 650ct from them with low expectations, and was very happy with what I got, realizing:

	- the modem was a PCMCIA card (the internal modem was missing)
	- the HD died almost immediately (and was quickly replaced by them)
	- Upping the RAM to the max. (80 Meg) was expensive! ($100)
	- A screw or two was missing from the case, but no problems yet
	  (the HD bracket should be screwed down, but is not)
	- there was *one* stuck pixel (at 800x600 it is not a problem)
	  but the Active Matrix screen was *very* bright
	- the case was scuffed up, but not too bad (these are off-lease)

I wish I had gotten the unit with the internal CD-ROM, but my goal was cheap...

If you do go with the Portege laptop, I have a couple docking stations (DSV+), with room for internal ISA/PCI cards, as well as CD/HD - I'd let you have one cheap (may even hav ethe adapter). I went a little crazy with the docking stations (they were cheaper than power adapters, so I got one for the office, one for home,and now I use neither)...

HTH,

Ken