[geeks] ive been converted

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 16 14:37:54 CDT 2001

My previous employer (Bellcore/Telcordia) used an Optical disk "farm" to backup *all* servers under central IT management. They charged $$$/gig month for backup services, then they would do full and incremental backups on a nightly basis (6 increments and  a full each week). The cost per gig was non-trivial.

But, we were able to restore files at will, and it gave the IT folks a reason to *really* throw alot of bandwidth around the "campus".

This was several years ago, but it was very nice... Backups just "happened."

Ken