[geeks] ive been converted

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 15 13:27:33 CDT 2001

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 01:56:36AM -0400, nick at snowman.net wrote:
<snip stuff about O2)

> No, I'm saying it's more usefull for 3d work, and is mostly overkill for
> 2d work.

I don't know.  Yeah, it does 3D, but it isn't really that good at it (get
a Max Impact if you want 3D, will probably cost about the same).  On the
other hand (and I speak without being familiar with the Octane2s), it
seems to me that it that for better texturing performance (which is what
you are essentialling using for all 2D work) you need a nice Infinite
Reality or IR2 (read, high end Onyx 1 or 2) to do better.

Plus, there is the ICE chip which is all about image processing.

Several of the high end graphics makers (Discreet, ifx) seem to recommend
the O2 over everything but IR machines, although at the moment I can't
verify that.  There used to be someone on the list who used an Octane for
Piranha though.  I see they annouced a linux port.  Does anyone care to
explain why a linux port is needed?  I mean, linux hardware is going to
cost a lot anyway, and at $50k for the film capable version, I don't think
the cost of the SGI hardware is your biggest problem.

Speaking of 2D imaging and GL, either the tdfx linux driver really sucks,
or acceleration isn't working after all.  I was getting good performance
on simple models spinning full screen, but when I use gliv (a GL
accelerated image viewer), things crawl.

--
Joshua D. Boyd