[Packrats] Re: [geeks] My apologies...

Kurt Huhn geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Jul 14 16:56:16 CDT 2001

> Heh heh, I did this once at Earthlink, installed a lot of software, and
installed Napster
> to download contreversial metalica MP3's (and other pirated software),
then setup
> autoexec.bat to reformat the HD after it was rebooted.
> Not to mention completely destroying a Western Digital drive, and crashing
the
> Earthlink corporate exchange server (good thing I didn't get sued).

Dang!  You *are* lucky!  Just make sure you covered your tracks well.  My
latest layoff, from DefendNet (the golden child of managed security
providers) left them with undocumented passwords and root usernames.  By the
time they  contacted me, I had forgotten all of the passwords and tossed the
papaer I had written them on.  There's still about a dozen poor saps still
working there (down from 70+ four months ago).  Most of them figure the
worst is over, and it probably is - but I wouldn't have stayed.  The
situation was bad enough, that one of the directors (who was going to get a
promotion) even left after the fact when his job was secure.  All for the
want of good financial management....

Jeez, that sounded like a post more appropriate for alt.sysadmin.recovery!

Kurt