[geeks] NOW at GEEKS! Re: [rescue] SGI stock @ 53 cents

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 11 23:51:34 CDT 2001

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> if I'd had $5K to spend on stocks to "get in" on RedHat with the offering
> I got as a RH beta team member, I'd be a millionaire now. 8-(

Or not.  Many folks got clobbered - you have to hold onto shares for a
while to avoid taxes, and the result is unfortunate - stock tumbles and
whammo!  (I know of a few people who got nailed badly by earned income, or
somesuch, that ended up owing hundreds of thousands in taxes *after*
their stock options bombed.)

Thanks to Chandra's foresight, I avoided the whole .com thing.  Phew.

(I did, however, go buy a bunch of Sun stock while they were really low,
as a long-term investement.)

-P