[geeks] Appletalk anyone?

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 8 13:17:11 CDT 2001

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, James wrote:

> Um... doesn't 9.1 have TCP/IP? Use and FTP client or use the [whatever the
> Samba equivalent is in Mac] to mount a drive on Solaris using Samba. I do
> the FTP thing with Mac OS 7.5 and TCP/IP on and SE30 and it works great.

FTP won't suffice, and SAMBA is for SMB (Ick! Windows!) only.  I want to
be able to mount the UNIX filesystems on a variety of 9.1-running macs.
(OS X is easy)  I have two choices:

1) Install an NFS client on the mac.  No really good free ones.  Pay one
are expensive.

2) Put an AFS-compatable server package on the Solaris server.  Current
choices include CAP and Netatalk.  Both work, but are a bitch to install,
hence my query to see if anybody has had good luck implementing any of
them.

> > Has anybody got a good solution for Appletalk / AFS under Solaris 7?  I
> > have never gotten CAP to work, and netatalk looks scary.  I want to
> > centralize storage of my MP3's and I can't use my G4 running OS X, as I
> > reboot it into 9.1 quite often.

Cheers,

-Pete