[geeks] desperation is the mother of invention

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 6 17:47:27 CDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 01:42:54PM -0700, Peter L. Wargo wrote:

> COOL!  I would do this (passing it along to Chandra)
>
> I bet I know of a few others... (Ron Rossen, are you paying attention?)

I can vouch that geeky holidays can work.  I don't think a cruise would
really be me, but the Linuxbierwanderungen (two so far) worked very well
indeed.  The technical content is entirely optional, and plenty of people
just go to the two or three talks they're interested in and spend the
rest of the time slacking by the lake or wandering in the hills.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to go this year - recovery
through my employer's bankruptcy sucks, and also sucked up all my savings
whilst I found a new job, and it's pretty damned unlikely that I'll ever
see the UKP4000 they owe me.

Oh, and the LBWs were pretty family-friendly.  There were a few kids
around, as well as non-geeky SOs.

> On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Amy wrote:
>
> > so, while looking at geekcruises.com it occurs to me that there might be a
> > compromise here. geekcruises basically offers weeklong conventions (with
> > lectures, etc) on a cruise ship--it has satellite net access--at sea.
> > problem is their cruises arent the most employer-happy or very
> > intellectual in the world, at least for a solaris admin (they offer
> > a very popular linux cruise but not a solaris one)...

Now if someone were to offer a mountaineering and solaris admin holiday ...

--
David Cantrell | david at cantrell.org.uk | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

If you save all your money for three years, you'll be able to afford this
new computer.  If, however, you blow all your money on poker, booze and
loose women - you'll still be able to afford it in three years.
                                                      --- anon, on Usenet