[geeks] Yeow! That is a pricey CPU for a PeeCee!

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 6 10:22:49 CDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 11:00:59AM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:

> I forget which chip it was, but there was one intel chip that was actually *slower* than the chip it replaced for normal, end-user applications (MS-Office, etc.).

That was the PPro.  It was heavily optimised for running 32-bit code, and
at the time there was still lots of 16-bit code around, which ran slower.
Isn't there something similar with the P4?

--
David Cantrell | david at cantrell.org.uk | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

If you save all your money for three years, you'll be able to afford this
new computer.  If, however, you blow all your money on poker, booze and
loose women - you'll still be able to afford it in three years.
                                                      --- anon, on Usenet