[geeks] Lanplex 2500

Gregory Leblanc geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 27 00:29:35 CST 2001

On Wed, 2001-12-26 at 22:12, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, you wrote:
> > On Wed, 2001-12-26 at 21:52, James Sharp wrote:
> > > After several greps through 3com's knowledgebase...I found what I was
> > > looking for.  Now I just have to dig up a 3c589 PCMCIA network card...I
> > > know I just saw one downstairs.
> >
> > Not just any 3c589 will work.  The 3c589d and 3c589e do NOT work.  I'm
> > not sure about the 3c589c, but I'm sure that earlier models do work.
> >
> Hmm...I was just going to offer to loan James a 589D why won't the D work??

You'd have to ask 3Com why, but we had 55 3c589Ds, and tested with
probably half a dozen of them and they didn't work.  I suspect that it's
something to do with the 2500 having been designed before the 3c589D,
and they changed things enough with that revision that the driver is
different (3c589d/e use the same driver, the others use another
driver).
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.