[geeks] Lanplex 2500 ?

Gregory Leblanc geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 27 00:09:15 CST 2001

On Wed, 2001-12-26 at 21:17, James Sharp wrote:
> > > I finally got my hands on a lanplex 2500 off ebay.  Surprise...its flash
> > > ram has been roached, so it won't boot.  I can get the firmware from 3com
> > > via FTP...but anyone know how to reload one of these beasts?
> >
> > Lemme get this straight... Your flash is gone, but you still have it's ROM
> > monitor? Or is that gone? (Does it even have one?)
>
> I think the rom monitor is still there.  It goes through POST and then
> reports that "Flash EPROM checksum invalid" and halts there.

Yeah, the eeprom on these boxes is touchy to the point of it being
absurd.

> > What kind of a sick sadistic weasel sells a switch on ebay for good money
> > knowing it cannot boot?!
>
> Honestly, it may have gotten roached a bit when I brought it in.    When I
> set the box down, i saw a hefty blue spark of static jump from it to the
> grounded table leg.

Heh, I'll bet that did it.  I screwed up the eeprom on one by plugging
the power cord in too slowly.  We also fried it once when our UPS didn't
clamp fast enough, and a small (130V or so) surge crept through.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.