[rescue] Re: [geeks] I think I need to change my pants... ;^)

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 22 22:46:24 CST 2001

on 12/22/01 11:10 PM, Peter L. Wargo at pwargo at basenji.com wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Dec 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:
>
>> I got my Ti PowerBook today.
>
> 1) You are a pud. :-)

What is a pud? (is that some Mac-ism?)

> 2) Why only the 550?

Well, I sat and thought about it too long at the Apple Shop (what an
experience - I've never been to one before - it was about 90 minutes away) -
and what it came dow to was a realistic assessment of what I will use it for
- general BS, not any heavy processing by any stretch - and cost. I was
prepared to get the "mothership" (667 MHz CPU, Combo drive, 512 Meg RAM, 30
Gig HD), but I decided the pocket the $600 difference.

Besides, I figure there is a good chance my wife will claim it, then I'll
have to get another one.

They had DVD versions as well as combo-drive units, and I decided that $3000
was too much for a laptop (but $2300 was OK?!) and that the really cool
thing for max. geek points with my friends would be the combo-drive, not
extra (wasted) cycles in the CPU.

> 3) So, how do you like it?

FSCKing BIG! I wish they had the B<mumble-mumble> Backpack case, as it is
I'll have to order it online...

I *love* the screen (that was reasons one and two for me getting this baby),
the third is the "extended" screen available by adding an external monitor
(dual-head laptop baby!)...

Oh, and OS X looks good, and for once I could swing a nice laptop, as
opposed to an older model that is not quite up to snuff.

> 4) Running OS X?

Not right now, wanted to dink with OS 9 first, I was just about to set the
boot options and restart into OS X... I plan to run OS X as much as possible
on it, but Citrix may require OS 9 (or a Java client - yech!)

> Way cool, dood.  Welcome to the G4 club.  Altivec for fun and profit...
> :)

No, Pete - it's 8^P

My wife just shavkes her head and says "I can't believe you got a Mac" (I
used to mock them so... (check the early Macweenie posts :^(

If I only knew...

One thing though - where's the friggin trackpoint? I need my little red ****
mouse!

Oh, and why is that clear plastic mouse Apple selss $60?

Ken
(I'm about to have a fire sale on *several* x86 laptops, I'll post a link
when I'm ready - an IBM ThinkPad 360PE (touch screen 486), Portege 610
(great screen, small size), Omnibook 800 (claw mouse, P/166 MMX), and maybe
a Portege 3010ct (thin, fast, light)... The mongrels of my basement!)