[geeks] Buzzzzz

Will Mc Donald geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 19 14:55:05 CST 2001

From: "Fogg, James" <JFogg at vicinity.com>
> ~ >from when soda -- called "pop" where I came from
>
> I grew up calling it tonic (Northern New England). Almost got thrown out
of
> a pharmacy/lunch counter in Georgia for calling it that. They were most
> confused (and confusable!). I learned that colloquialisms aren't
universal.

We always called all fizzy drinks "ginger" in west central Scotland (well,
Motherwell and the surrounds). Which caused no end of grief when I moved to
Wales for college... well, that and practically every other unintelligible
word out of my mouth.

Only 600 miles apart and yet the language barrier made it seem like I was
from a different country... oh, wait, I was. :)