[geeks] Software Bloat

William Enestvedt geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 19 09:34:28 CST 2001

> <waves walking stick> I too have done paper tape.  1993, on a milling
> machine.  AFAIK, that machine is still in use.

   And I've seen the giant machines that do the fancy embroidery work on
hats, golf shirts, etc., and they use a paper tape.
   Someone has to work out the thread colors and needled positions and such
on a little unit which is a hybrid of a multi-head sewing machine, a
tape-puncher, and something else, and then that tape is fed into the giant,
chattering beast that embroiders a dozen garments at once in twenty colors
of thread. Damn loud when they're running.
   A'course I didn't do the work (I only clipped and folded finished stuff),
and it was in the late 80's, but I bet it still works the same way.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator