[geeks] Software Bloat

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 19 00:17:12 CST 2001

(Actually, I was ignoring this thread for a while, and now I feel like
making a comment)

>> the thick of Lancaster PA ) in
>>> the mid to late 80s paper tape wasn't around.
>> Before that they rented time on
>>> another church owned companies computer, and I'm
>> pretty sure that that also
>>> didn't use paper tape, though I could be wrong.

<clears throat> Ahem.  Got news for ya - I was doing IPL's on production
typesetting equipment in 1994 or so... The only thing that killed the
tape was the retirement of the systems in 1996...

Said typesetting equipment produced a NY Times (Sunday size!) worth of
column-inches every day, 7 days a week.

-Pete, who is becoming a grumpy old fart.