[geeks] Software Bloat

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 17 16:45:18 CST 2001

Do you remember timing your instructions so that the
read/write head on the DRUM memory was positioned over
the right spot when the calculation was done?

How about playing music by placing an AM radio next to
the computer keyboard/system unit of a TRS-80 Model 1
(which reminds me, whant about those "worlds first
zero-footprint PC" ads in the PC press - Look ma, the
whole system is in the keyboard! Amazing! World's
first my ass!")

Did you ever have to make an EBCDIC <-> ASCII
converter using only one IC and power?

Can you remember reading Don Lancasters TV Typewriter
Cookbook, and dreaming you had a computer that you
could hook one up to?

How about playing the software "floppy" records with
the software from the latest Kilobaud magazine into
your Altair over the cassette interface board?

Whee, I need to sit down for a minute, this has me all
tired out...

Ken
--- James Sharp <jsharp at psychoses.org> wrote:
> > Wow, is it just me or does anyone else feel old
> too?
> >
> > "... when BASIC had line numbers" indeed!
> >

> o/~ back when FORTAN was only THREETRAN....back when
> we programmed in ones
> and zeros and sometimes we ran out of ones o/~

=====
Ken
n2vip at yahoo.com