[geeks] Happy Holidays, everyone.

Gregory Leblanc geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 17 02:25:04 CST 2001

On Mon, 2001-12-17 at 00:16, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 11:55:26PM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > Apple had darn well better keep all that stuff, it's most of what MacOS
> > has done perfectly.  File extensions, and even the information that
> > programs like file can spit out about files don't hold a candle the
> > resource forks on MacOS.  I just wish I could get those on my Linux
> > desktop, and have things take advantage of them...
>
> I was under the impression that modern (ish) executable formats like ELF
> allowed you to have segments in them for doing that sort of thang.

I don't know much about things like that, but that doesn't help a lot
for all of the other files on the system.  Perl scripts, gnumeric's XML
documents, that sort of thing.

> I'm sorry, but HFS+ sucks Far Too Much.  Just you try - for instance -
> creating two files in the same directory, called 'configure' and
> 'Configure'.  Can't be done.  Which means that installing some software
> which should be easy is a complete bitch.  IF it was case-sensitive then
> I'd be happy.

Hmm, ok, HFS+ certainly sucks, but that doesn't mean that resource forks
suck.  :-)  I'll bet it's not even that hard to add them to UFS,
although it'd probably be in a non-compatible way (just because it's
Apple).
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.