[geeks] bahahahaha.

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 15 00:31:25 CST 2001

> This whole thread reminds me of old geezers down the pub - "eeeee, things
> was better in the good old days".  I reckon there's always been good teachers
> and bad teachers, good pupils and bad.  Most of us had the good fortune of
> having good teachers and good fellow-pupils, hence our reasonably high
> levels of education which eventually brung us to this august forum.  As
> kids we weren't aware of the bad teachers and bad pupils, as they were
> outside our experience.  Now we're adults and read the newspapers, which
> bring them to our attention, and so it appears that everything's going to
> the dogs.

Being in the classroom for 21.4 years so far, I have noticed a reduction
in the "quality" of students that are coming into my classroom.  On parents
night, I'm lucky to see parents of twenty students (I have about 75 per semister).
Other high schools in my district usually have little or no parents show up.
My district has also implemented "esteem classes" in primary school (their
logic goes; good student have high self-esteem, therefore build up their self-esteem
and they will be better students) so now the students tell you what to do. I've been
to workshops where we were told "students know what they need to know".  OK, sure.