[geeks] Router Wrangling

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 14 10:54:05 CST 2001

This week I got sent on a course to learn how to do magic to routers.  It was
Learning Tree's course "Cisco Routers: A Comprehensive Hands-on Introduction".
I went along with a fair amount of knowledge already - I knew about
subnetting, how routing worked, how to trouble-shoot a network etc, and I
had already wrangled routers before.  However, my Cisco experience in the
past had very much been a case of following a cook-book, and so I had
little understanding of what the commands meant.  That has now changed, and
I will be confident wrangling routers on my own in the future.

I believe that Learning Tree offer the same courses in all their locations
around the world, so the same course *should* be available for US geeks too.
Obviously, the instructor won't be the same, but the course notes were
pretty damned good, the hardware supplied for the hands-on bits was more
than sufficient, and so I would imagine that the same course with another
instructor would still work well.

Do not be afraid of cooking, as your ingredients will know and misbehave
   -- Fergus Henderson