SUV's (was: Re: [geeks] new lists? 8-))

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 14 08:36:31 CST 2001

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 09:12:19AM -0500, John Duksta wrote:
> So, we go to the rental place to pick up a 4x4 to head up
> to the mountains in. My friend is asking for a Volvo Cross
> Country, which, thankfully, they didn't have any. The rental
> agency wants to give us a standard SUV (Jeep Cherokee or some
> such). My friend is a leary of driving such a thing, and asks
> for something smaller. So... we end up with the Kia Sportage.

Yep, thats what I drive.  No, its not really meant for four
people (altho you can fit them in, in a pinch); it does GREAT
for two people + cargo or two people + BIG DOG.

Plus, it has enough clearance that I dont worry about curbs and
such (my previous vehicle was a Firebird...)

Lessee, stuff we've hauled in it:

- FIVE IBM PowerServer 550 (? cant remmeber model number)s.  The
  big deskside units.  Plus terminals, plus manuals, plus boxes of
  tapes, etc.  I barely had room to shift.

- countless other computers

- One normal 36" door, pre-hung.  *inside* the kia.  Yes.  It *fit*.
  Not comfortably, but it fit.

- Christmas tree(s)

- Dog.  Big dog.

- I can stand up two large-sized trash cans in the back (behind the
  rear seat, without folding it up) and still close the back hatch.
  Useful for taking my trash illicitly to the dumpster at work, which
  is a couple of blocks away.

Amy, can you remember anything else?

Bill

--