[geeks] -fast option on Sun's compiler.

Dave McGuire geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 13 18:56:50 CST 2001

On December 13, James Sharp wrote:
> > Reminds me: would someone, for the love of ghod, please multithread gzip?
> > Hell, even bzip would be good, since its a block compressor anyway....
>
> Don't tell the gnu people, they'll multithread it using Linux threads and
> then we'll all be screwed.

  Yeah.

  I wonder if the code is structured and documented well enough to be
threadable without a huge amount of effort.  I can see a
"--threads=<n>" command line option...that would be cool.

  I mean, it's not a slow program as it is...but on a multiprocessor
platform, that would kick a great deal of ass, and might be fun to do.

    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
St. Petersburg, FL