[geeks] new lists? 8-)

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 13 13:22:49 CST 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:54:12PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On December 13, Amy wrote:
> > dont get me wrong, we've made our compromises. if he gets a cray then i'm
> > getting a viking range.
>
>   What is a viking range?  If you really want one, I can hook Bill up
> with a Cray. :-)

They are the high end yuppie model of stove.  Philip Greenspun has some
comments about them in his materialism section:
http://philip.greenspun.com/materialism/kitchen

Specifically:
My friend Ted tells me I have to have a Viking stove. Do you sell them?" Sure
they did, said an elegant-sounding woman, for about $5000. "How is it better
than a $300 GE?" I asked. She replied, "It is less reliable than the GE,
harder to clean, and it throws off a tremendous amount of waste heat. So while
it does heat up your food, it also heats up your kitchen and then you need a
huge exhaust hood to take all the waste heat away."

Followed by:
"Maybe what you want is a Thermador," she continued, sensing my lack of
enthusiasm about the Viking. "They make a stove that looks sort of like the
Viking but actually it works almost as well as the GE. It only costs about
$3000."

Apparently in the end he went with the GE.  How boring.  I don't know what my
uncle has, but it looks vaguely Vikingish (as someone who knows little about
stoves), and looks like it would be fun to use, if not fun to clean.

--
Joshua D. Boyd